Thursday, 6 July 2017

Rudderless?

Oops.   Absolutely no way did I mean to abandon my blog for a month, particularly at a time when there has been so much going on that I am hardly short of anything to write about.  But that is the way of things; so I'll move on from this point and if the mood and moment takes me, do a bit of retrospective catching up when the time feels right.

Whilst Management's retirement is a good great thing, it came about rapidly without taking much time to plan for how we'd "do it".  But that's normal for us - we can take YEARS to decide where to hang pictures, or what colour to paint the sitting room but Big Decisions, nah, they take hours or sometimes days, but never much longer! 

It comes as no shock to anyone who knows me that I like, need, crave routine and order.  It is my anchor and my safe place from which everything else comes into being and the one thing which has completely disappeared from my life in the last month is routine . . . and that includes finding computer time to sit and blog.  Does everyone's retirement start like this? Six weeks on we are still in the midst of strangeness and whilst we have a pretty clear idea of how we want to live, what we want to do, and what we need in order to achieve that,  a backlog of months/years of should-do's and have-to's seems to have totally taken over our lives.

How can it be a month since I last blogged?

How can it be that neither of us ever seem to sit down/sit still and yet we are never finished?



We've certainly been busy, LP's last day was 6th June and since then Management has been a tremendous help in the garden.  Ah yes, The Garden .... a place of happiness and sanctuary (especially during the incredibly hot spell last month) but also a place which needs a lot of time and attention.  Much thought is being given to small changes we might make in future to lessen the workload without diminishing the space.



Daisy is, as always, a delight to live with and happily the Apoquel tablets seem to have conquered the seasonal allergies which make her skin so sore.  Many short local walks, especially to a favourite wildflower meadow near the river.



She found some of June rather too hot and the slate hearth was a favourite place to cool her head



Those white boards full of tasks we've been wanting to get to for months/years have kept us busy, particularly from the middle of last month when we started at one end of the house and absolutely BLITZED a room each day until a week later when we were sick and tired of it all, and anyway, his Mum was arriving the next day!  We spent a very gentle week "on holiday at home" doing as much as an 85-year old with decreasing mobility could manage.  A lovely trip to Lingholm filled a wet day, plus the 'obligatory' visits to the seaside which included the Roman milefort at Allonby, Silloth and even a short climb above the beach at St Bees:



The now-traditional last day visit to Wasdale:



After the post-holiday tidying up and laundry sessions we were both completely worn out!  Over the last month I've developed a possibly unhealthy interest in the TriPeaks game on my iPad and that has been filling what little computer time there seems to be each day. When I find myself wasting time on mindless computer games I know I need a break, and as Management has often said "you could take the caravan away alone and I will look after Daisy" I suddenly decided to take him up on the offer and booked three nights at a tiny CL on a working farm outside Appleby with stunning views of the Pennines.



Which was lovely, but very strange to be without Daisy-dog, and now I'm home, surprisingly knackered but hopefully I will get up refreshed and renewed tomorrow!





12 comments:

  1. Aah!!!! Retirement!!!! It certainly becomes a different world & I still struggle at times even after nearly 4 years. Made redundant myself at 50, I'd had a lot of 'me' time whilst Hubby was at work, some days being 14 hours away due to long shifts & travelling time, then 'bang', I was not alone at all any more & it's hard. We'd always thought that he'd do some part time before he gave up work, but it didn't happen like that, and now we make the best we can from it, have a differences at times, but all in all it's the place we are in at our time of life. Nearly in our 70's............ how did that happen? Relax, enjoy the weekend & take care. PS. Thanks for the email & I love the Penines too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, if I can regularly do as much as you do in my 70's I will be delighted! Retirement is a big change for both of us and I know it hasn't really sunk in yet for M. Perhaps we should just ~go with it~ and not try to rush things . . .

      Delete
  2. I expect you're also left wondering how Management ever found the time to go to work.
    It's good that you're both still keeping busy and it looks like his mum chose some lovely days to visit.
    It must have felt very strange to be away in the caravan without Daisy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Management is certainly wondering that! In the midst of the house-cleaning blitz I did suggest to him that he ~could~ go back to work if he wanted and the response (excluding the expletives) was something to do with "well, I'd sit down more".

      Without Daisy the caravan was very spacious - and tidy - and quiet . . .

      Delete
  3. When we first retired we treated the allotment as a job - going there every afternoon. When we realised what we were doing we changed all that and now try and fit in at least one day each week for dome sort of day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good advice Sue, I think you have told me that before. We are aiming for the same with bells on :) Living where we do, at least three days out each week would be a nice result!

      Delete
  4. Changing such ingrained habits and routines can be very disconcerting. My "retirement" started off with what felt like an extended vacation so there was no being at home. The "vacation" just kept going as that's when we began traveling full time in our RV. DH had already been retired for several years at that point. Being open and accepting of change certainly helps smoothe the way. You'll both get the hang of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. You're right, we will 'get the hang of it' soon enough, and compared to so many people - what a lovely "problem" to have :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so pleased you found something that works for Daisy's allergies. The photo of her with her head on the hearth is lovely. I bought a gel cooling pad for Annie, thank goodness it was inexpensive because she refuses to lie on it :)

    As for retirement, I'd been in my job so long that my contract said I had to give one week's notice and that's exactly what I did! I decided one evening in a conversation with husband, told him I wanted to quit my job and did it, yet just like you it'll take me ages to decide what to do around the house. I was at home on my own for a couple of years when my husband's ill health changed everything. We have a routine of sorts, I get up early and have my computer time as I like my own space. It is difficult adjusting but having days out or time away from the home is the key I think. You and I seem to be very alike in some ways, I have to do the daily challenge, a solitaire game on my iPad, usually do it first attempt but it has been known to fox me for a couple of hours :) I hope you find a solution adjusting to retirement that suits you both soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Management pretty much did the same as you - hence no pre-planning. I think retirement will suit us both quite well, our biggest problem is not "not knowing what to do" but working out what to do next because there's so much we both want to do!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad it's not just me who 'wastes time' playing games :) I have a DS Lite and play Jewel Quest Solitaire every time I have a few minutes to spare :)

    I'm glad Daisy's medication seems to be working. It must have felt odd being 'Daisy-less' while you were away. Stunning view from the camp site too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eunice, glad it is not just me who plays Solitaire!

      The Apoquel has certainly stopped Daisy's itching, but there can be side-effects which I am concerned about. One of the things the drug does to the body is affect the immune system receptors which combat cancerous changes in cells. This week we have noticed a small wart growing on the edge of her eyelid which certainly was not there before . . . what if there is something happening inside that we can't see?

      Fortunately she only needs to be on the drug during the summer, not all year, but I am worried. But what can we do - there don't seem to be any other drugs available and the steroids were no longer working (and they have awful side effects too). Rest assured we will be watching her very closely.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}