Monday, 24 July 2017

Weeding

Last night was so miserable, damp and driech that I lit the woodburner after supper, not a big burn and only for an hour until I went to bed, and probably as much for the comfort of the flames as for the warmth.  This afternoon was so hot I was in danger of getting sunburnt when we spent an hour on the Big Pond.

A couple of times a year we need to get in there and curb the enthusiasm of the oxygenators.  The water is beautifully clear but there's so much weed growing that it gets difficult to see very far into the water and observe all the lovely little creatures who live there.



I float around in a child's dingy getting wet and into all sorts of positions which are not terribly good for my shoulders, Management stays on dry(ish) land and empties the trays for me (and apparently acts as the Responsible Adult should I fall overboard ....)





Despite not falling in, it's still necessary to hose both me and the dingy before going in for a shower.  Fortunately for Management, the hose doesn't reach the photographer who stayed on the black deck :)






Muscles permitting, we need another session tomorrow.








8 comments:

  1. I know the pond is large, but that is one big job & I'll bet Daisy wouldn't help either.
    Just think, I can nearly reach from one side to the other on ours, but not lengthways. Ours has had so much ice on it this winter, that I hope my waterlily survives. I'm thinking that the whole garden is probably in full bloom and looks amazing. Don't overdo it and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy was as much use as a chocolate teapot . . . Thanks for thinking our garden is a riot of colour at present but it really isn't. I've been trying to raise a lot of late-season perennials from seed and have failed spectacularly :(

      Delete
  2. It sounds like something of an adventure that brings outnthe child in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, you know me so well!!!
      Me?
      Childish?
      Hmmm, probably 😁😁

      Delete
  3. That certainly sounds and looks like fun, but do take care! This weather is very strange and I never know what to wear when I go out, not had to put our heating on though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we have not put the proper heating on but it was nice to have the warmth from the woodburner in the sitting room. I know what you mean about not knowing what to wear - perennial problem here when the weather can change so much over the course of a day.

      Delete
  4. I think if that was my pond, on a glorious day like that I'd be very tempted to just float around reading a book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea, but requires a willing cabana boy to regularly bring cold drinks ....

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}