Friday, 4 August 2017

Taking stock, and an unexpected visitor

In his corporate days, one of Management's greatest strengths was to go into companies who had difficulties and help troubleshoot them into a better place.

Ever since he retired, we have both noticed a common theme is my belly-aching about the amount of work to do in the garden, but making very little progress.  With an unerring ability to notice what is not being said, Management asked recently "when you're outside, are you doing the jobs which really need doing, or are you doing the tasks which are relatively easy to complete?"  Did I mention he also has a tendency to go straight for the questions that everyone else (me?) ignores?  No chance of an elephant hiding in the room when he's about :)

And so it was, that at the beginning of the week, outside we went:  me pointing out everything I wanted to do and Himself writing it all down.  There was then a fairly long interlude whilst a frighteningly large spreadsheet came into being.   It is actually less daunting having it all written down than the constant figurative 'spinning of plates' as I try to keep track of it all in my mind.  



This is just the tasks which (for "kicks and grins") we labelled as ideally being accomplished in the next two weeks.



Oh, stop laughing at the back there ..... a combination of Cumbrian weather, an overall lousy summer and an absolute doozy of a cold means we've got nearly to the end of the first of those weeks with only one teeny line item ticked off.

We will ignore how ticked off I am 😡   This was the scene a couple of nights ago which says something about how chilly it has been and how knocked out I have been.  Tonight's weather forecst on Channel 4 warns of 'dangerously high temperatures' for those venturing to southern Europe, but parts of the UK are likely to fall to single figures - sheesh - but I should not be surprised, mid-July there was a FROST WARNING in Scotland one night.



An unexpected visitor on Friday afternoon left us with "a little present" on the drive that means should I ever get to the point where all the garden is weeded I certainly have more than enough bark chip to mulch the living daylights out of the soil!



With the school holidays in full swing we've made the decision not to attempt any caravan trips until the end of the month, which - theoretically - leaves me with a lovely big window of opportunity to crack on in the garden. 

Wish me luck  😛







12 comments:

  1. Looking at that top photo, I'm green with envy at how lush the garden is at the moment, though Mgt looks different. Maybe no facial fungus? (giggle). I find that planning works at times, then doesn't, but when it does, you feel great. Wow, some load of bark chip & a lot of moving to do too. Hiya Daisy! Don't overdo it & let that cold come back. I could do with your woodburner this weekend, as we are supposed to be in for a "super" winter storm. Eh!! Take care & huggles. BTW... I've seen the size of your slugs in UK & they are absolute monsters compared to our wee little ones & glad that we only get a limited number of snails that usually get eaten by birds or blue tongue lizards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Susan, one of the first things Management did upon retirement was shave completely :)

      Hope you don't get too much of a storm, it is much nicer today, still lots of cloud but breezy and at least it's not flippin' raining. Your lizards sound interesting, could do with them here.

      Delete
  2. Will you be able to actually get your car out to venture somewhere anyway? We try to avoid school holidays too which is a welcome change as for years we were restricted to them. Have you got to the "I wonder what day it is" stage yet? It amuses me that if I wake from being unconscious in the future and someone asks me to tell them what day it is, I may struggle. An idea obviously devised by someone one who had a workday routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the horror! Can you see the headlines - "gardener trapped at home by too much mulch!" 😀

      We still have weekends and weekdays, except our weekends are 5 days long, not 2! We do housework, errands and at home stuff on Saturday & Sunday and then TRY to go out when everyone else is back at work. It's a tough life but we reckon we've earned it, just like you have :)

      Delete
  3. That's a serious amount of bark chippings to move - I presume Daisy was supervising?

    I hope your cold is subsiding now and you're feeling better. As for the weather, it's still warm here even on the odd days when it's rained - at the moment it's lovely and sunny with lots of blue sky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth Eunice, it is an insane amount of bark chip, BUT (and it's a big 'but') the garden is huge, any materials we need tend to be on a semi-industrial scale rather than "a couple of bags in the boot of the car" and as we have the room to store it, then it would be daft to say 'no' when Simon offers it.

      Glad you have decent weather today :)

      Delete
  4. It is very warm here but there seems to be rain every single day. We don't go away during the school holidays though we get caught out sometimes when Wales and England's half term holidays are on different weeks. I certainly don't envy all your never ending hard work in the garden. Daisy is looking gorgeous by the way. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that's weird .... I am absolutely sure I replied to this ... I remember typing it . . .

      Eileen, although the garden has been difficult this year, in the main it is not hard work because I love being outside, tending plants, helping things grow. Hope Annie is well :)

      Delete
  5. We haven;t had a proper winter here either. I still have flowering marigolds, and bearing tomato plants from last summer, and the plum trees are already in blossom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani, thanks for visiting. Clearly we are all imaginging the changing climate that we're witnessing .....

      Delete
  6. I always heard that when you look at your list of tasks, do the most difficult one first thing. Then, its easier going the rest of the day. Not looking at that monster chore hanging over your head. Not always easier to do, but it does work. Hope you're feeling better. I just can't believe its Aug 5 already. Sheesh, where in heck has the summer gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right Sue, that's what Management was getting at when he asked was I doing what really needed to be done or what I could complete easily.

      No idea where time has gone - I'm hoping that our summer might start soon, certainly haven't been having much in the way of 'summer weather'. M. reminds me that often September is our nicesst month ....

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}